How it works
Call up your best motorcycle travel buddy and start your wonderful adventure on a motorcycle. Motorcycle travel is one of the most sought-after ways to get around a new country. The freedom, the thrill, the scenery, the wind in your hair. Should we continue?
Motorcycle travel buddy tripsCreate Trip
Join a group of travelers on unique trips, organized by experienced TripLeaders.
Portugal7 Days10 Apr 21 → 17 Apr 21Guided Trip+5
1 TripMate is going and 8 are interested
Motorcycle travel buddy
Our tips so that you can find the perfect motorcycle travel buddy
Motorcycle travel is one of the most thrilling and exciting ways to discover a new destination. You have the freedom to go where you want, at the time you set with the people you chose. Sounds too good to be true, doesn’t it? Well, as easy as it sounds, there is extensive pre-trip planning you and your road buddies need to take into consideration before setting off on your first motorcycle tour.
1. Your Wheels
Choosing the right bike for you and your travel mates is very important. If you’re buying or renting, you have to research the type of bike that fits your travel needs.
- Consider the mileage you want to accomplish - will the bike make it?
- Is the seat comfortable? - Like an office chair, you’ll be parked on it for a while each day.
- Does it require a lot of maintenance? Sure, you scored a good deal from your neighbor. But will your bike last the duration of your trip? Don’t buy a lemon, even if the price looks good.
While getting to your destination is high on your priority list, make sure you take breaks. Riding for too long can cause severe neck and back pain, which would essentially ruin your trip in the long run. It is recommended to stop for 10 minutes every couple of hours. During this time, you and your motorcycle travel companions can stretch, re-hydrate, and take in the road around you.
3. Location, Location, Location
Choosing the right destination for your motorcycle trip is crucial. You want bike-friendly highways, beautiful scenery, and you want to feel safe on your bike. The last thing you want is to be bumper to bumper with 1000 other drivers who might not see you on the road. Here are a few noteworthy destinations for your motorcycle travel.
- Cabot Trail, Nova Scotia. 187 miles of beautiful road and landscape
- Amalfi Coast, Italy. Stunning scenery with brightly painted villages below
- Beartooth Pass, Montana, emerged in the rocky mountains.
- Pacific Coast Highway, deemed the “Quintessential American Road Trip” with jaw-dropping scenery
- Troll Ladder, Norway. Where roads seemingly defy gravity…
4. Rules First
Depending on the location you chose, the traffic rules are most likely not the same as at home. You and your travel companions will need to familiarize yourself with the local road rules and stick to them. You might also need to consider an international license, depending on where you are. Unfortunately, ignorance of the law is not a valid excuse and you will be punished accordingly.
5. Bike Friendly Attire
You will want to consider dressing appropriately for motorcycle travel. Always wear riding pants that cover your legs, ankle boots, a full-face helmet, sunglasses, and a long sleeve shirt. You and your trip mates could even get matching biker jackets and hit the road in style.
There are a few things you need to consider when going on a motorcycle trip. But one thing is for sure, with the right travel buddy you will have an unforgettable time. If you're looking for a few more tips, check out our blog. Here you will find cool tips, tricks & inspiration: