How you can join a trip and everything you need to know


How much does JoinMyTrip cost as a TripMate?

Creating a profile and messaging TripLeaders is completely free for TripMates. As soon as you have found the right Trip, you contact the TripLeader. When they have confirmed your spot on the trip, you pay them to cover the price of the trip. The first payment is for 20% of the price and shortly before departure you pay the remaining 80%. The price includes the cost of transport and accommodation at your destination, not transportation to the starting and end points of the trip. Depending on the trip, local activities may also be included in the price. The exact costs can be listed in the description of the trip. Otherwise, just ask your TripLeader directly. They'll be happy to help!

How can I find the perfect trip?

Click here to browse through all the trips and filter them to make finding the best trip easy.

If you can't find your dream trip, think about offering a trip as a TripLeader yourself. We are happy to support you with the planning and the organization. Simply message us on Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp or via e-mail at

Can I ask questions before booking a trip?

When you've found a trip you like, send a request to the TripLeader. You can ask questions when you ask to join the trip. The TripLeader will answer all your questions before accepting you as a TripMate.

How do I book a trip?

When you have found your dream trip, simply click on the "Join Trip" button and write a short message to your TripLeader with some information about you and any questions you might have. They will ask you questions to get to know you better, answer yours or confirm you directly. Once they have confirmed your request, you pay the TripLeader 20% of the price of the trip, which reserves your place on the trip. 

Does the TripLeader travel with us?

Yes, your TripLeader will, of course, come along on the trip! After all, they are responsible for the organization and planning of the trip. 

What happens after a TripLeader confirmed me as a TripMate?

As soon as your TripLeader has confirmed you, a request for a deposit of 20% of the price of the trip will automatically be sent to you if you have not paid already.

What exactly is included in the cost per TripMate?

The price quoted by the TripLeader includes local transportation and accommodation cost, not transportation to the starting and end points of the trip. Depending on the trip, local activities may also be included in the price. Just ask your TripLeader directly. They'll be happy to help!

Is the flight included in the price?

No, the flight is not included. To find affordable flights, we recommend using Kayak, Skyscanner and Momondo. By checking all three of these services, you should be able to find 99% of all available flights.

Is JoinMyTrip a tour operator?

No, JoinMyTrip doesn't arrange trips. We are a booking platform that allows everyone to offer and join group trips.

We are happy to support TripLeaders with the planning and organization of their trips but, at the end of the day, it’s the TripLeader's trip. As a TripMate, you travel with your TripLeader, not with JoinMyTrip.

Can I only book a part of a trip?

That depends on your TripLeader. Simply send them a message and ask directly. For some trips, this is easier than for others.

Are the trips guaranteed to take place?

As with any group trip, the TripLeader may not find enough TripMates. However, a lot of times trips take place with fewer people than originally planned. For more details, you can ask your TripLeader directly.

What happens if the TripLeader gets sick?

If a TripLeader gets sick or is otherwise prevented from going on the trip, this is first and foremost not at all nice for them. We are sure that they would like to start the trip as much as you do;  if not more. We, at JoinMyTrip, will do everything we can to find a suitable replacement.

If our search is unsuccessful, we will see if a team member of JoinMyTrip can travel with your group as a TripLeader. After all, we love what we do -- traveling! 

If all else fails, we will take on as many TripLeader duties as we can -- organize accommodation, find directions, make suggestions for activities, etc. We’ll even pay for a local SIM card for you, so that you can always reach us. 

Of course, the trip can be canceled. Please see the section "Cancelation Policy". We will support you as best as we can and make the process as easy as possible. 

How safe is it to travel with JoinMyTrip?

Safety is our top priority.

Every TripLeader has to verify their phone number and identity with us by uploading an ID or passport. Plus, we screen each TripLeader (see FAQ "Who can become a TripLeader"), check each trip individually before it goes online and are in direct contact with the TripLeaders.

Most importantly, our community protects you. We screen all the TripMates in your group. If there is a problem, we will definitely intervene remotely. If you still have any doubts, please contact us.

How can I cancel a booking?

Please write an email to and inform your TripLeader. Please note the Cancelation Policy.

How do I pay the trip cost?

Quite simply, paying for the trip happens via our platform. This allows you to pay securely with credit card (Visa or MasterCard), or Giropay.

If booking more than 30 days before the trip departure you can choose to pay only 20% as a deposit. The remaining 80% is due 30 days before the departure date, but you may choose to pay sooner.